Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 18, 2012

GUEST BLOG: LYNNE CANTWELL

Photobucket



This post is part of a Virtual Book Tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. The author will be giving away a $10 Amazon GC to one random commenter on the tour. You can click on the banner above to see the other stops on her tour; remember that the more you comment, the better your chances.
“What I’ve Learned from Naomi Witherspoon”


I am of the opinion that the characters we write into our novels are like the characters that populate our dreams: each one of them is a manifestation of some facet of us, either as we are – warts and all – or as we would like to be.

So to say that I’ve learned something from Naomi Witherspoon, my main character in Seized: Book One of the Pipe Woman Chronicles, is a little bit backwards. I think it’s possible than in writing her – and her friend Shannon, and her boyfriend Brock, and her mysterious Guardian Joseph – I’ve learned less about them than I have about myself.

That said, here are some of the things I admire about Naomi:

* She knows her own comfort level. Naomi is a lawyer who discovered early in her career that she doesn’t like the adversarial nature of litigation. She realized that she preferred helping people resolve their differences to helping them sue somebody. So she lobbied the partners at her firm to let her take mediation certification classes and then set up a mediation practice within the firm. I like to think that I’m similarly self-aware of my own comfort level.

* She is decisive. When faced with her fiancĂ©’s misconduct, she gives him the old heave-ho, right then and there. I might be inclined to give him another chance. Then again, this was Brock’s “another chance.”

* She knows when to quit. When Naomi is faced with a dilemma – either to help her law firm support an unscrupulous developer, or to represent the individual who will be evicted from his land if the developer’s deal goes through – she does the right thing. Granted, she is in a financial position to act on her beliefs. But I hope that if I were faced with a similar situation, I would know when to quit, too.

* She’s willing to suspend her disbelief. Naomi does not look kindly on what she considers to be New Age foolishness, and she certainly doesn’t believe the world will change at the 2012 winter solstice. But when she’s faced with proof that there’s more to the universe than the reality we can see, she doesn’t spend a lot of time in denial. I’m less inclined to disbelieve in the “woo-woo” than Naomi is, but I would like to think that if a goddess tapped me, I’d have the same sort of grace under pressure that Naomi has.

* She doesn’t try to be all things to all people. Naomi is intelligent, well educated, and funny. She doesn’t try to dumb herself down so that people will like her – and, either in spite of that or because of it, people do like her. I am…well, uh…I am too modest to admit to any of that. But I do hope that readers like Naomi well enough to read the rest of The Pipe Woman Chronicles! (Look for Fissured in September.)

About the Author:
Lynne Cantwell has been writing fiction since the second grade, when the kid who sat in front of her showed her a book he had written, and she thought, "I could do that." The result was Susie and the Talking Doll, a picture book illustrated by the author about a girl who owned a doll that not only could talk, but could carry on conversations. The book had dialogue but no paragraph breaks. Today, after a twenty-year career in broadcast journalism and a master's degree in fiction writing from Johns Hopkins University (or perhaps despite the master's degree), Lynne is still writing fantasy. Her third novel and her first urban fantasy, Seized: Book One of the Pipe Woman Chronicles, was released in March.

Find the author online at:

Amazon author page: http://www.amazon.com/Lynne-Cantwell/e/B005JTP5NE/
Smashwords author page: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/lynnecantwell
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/696603.Lynne_Cantwell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lynne-Cantwell/172485489493956
Twitter: https://twitter.com/LynneCantwell
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lynnecantwell
Blog: http://hearth-myth.blogspot.com

The winter solstice 2012 won't be the end of the world. It will be the beginning of the end....

Naomi has a pretty sweet life. Respected as a skilled mediator, she has an almost uncanny knack for getting people on both sides of a dispute to agree. And her handsome boyfriend Brock has just proposed to her. But a white buffalo calf is bowing to her in her dreams. And who is the Native American man who has been following her around?

Naomi doesn’t know it, but things are about to change....

9 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to getting to know Naomi.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting me today! I'm heading out on a road trip (I have a grad school commencement to go to this weekend), but I'll stop back by as often as I can.

    marybelle, thanks! I hope you like Naomi as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it fascinating that you say you learn about yourself through your writing. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the description of Naomi--intelligent, decisive, no nonsense, and she knows her own mind. She's the kind of heroine I like to read about. Thanks for sharing with us.
    catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you were talking about Naomi, but I got to know you better through the telling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoo hoo, finally off the road, done visiting with family (for a little while), and having dinner with free wifi! Nothing like turning a 4-hour drive into a 6-hour odyssey. There's this fabulous used book store on the way, see...

    Anyway, to your comments:
    Mel -- you're very welcome. :)

    Catherine -- I'm glad to hear that you like to read about heroines like Naomi. So do I!

    MomJane -- thanks! Sounds like I succeeded, then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naomi sounds like a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, cait045! She's a lot of fun to write.

    ReplyDelete